We know how HOT the housing market is right now in Ontario. Our team at Whispering Pines are here to help you get top dollar for your house! Curb appeal is everything for getting that asking price or more!
Curb appeal doesn’t have to be crazy expensive or take a lot of your valuable free time. We understand how overwhelming it may seem but if you follow these 5 easy steps, you will be well on your way to getting top dollar.
Think like the Buyer
It’s best to think from a buyer’s perspective for these steps. Imagine yourself in their shoes, walking up to your house for the first time. A nervous excitement washes over them as they see a place they could potentially call home. This could be their first home, they could be raising a family, or enjoying life and all its fun. So what would you think if you were them walking up to the house? We know you want it to be a wow factor instead of an overwhelmed feeling. Maybe there is a dip in the walkway to the house, or the focal point is a massive garage.
Adding plants and trees in the right spaces can make all the difference to potential home buyers. Plants can help by softening corners, and they add vibrant colours to make you stand out. Relaying a walkway or adding a tree to create balance make it stand out among the other homes on the street. You will be well on your way to curb appeal following these quick tips.
5 Tips to Increase Curb Appeal.
- Take a look at the front of your house from the street. Where does your eye get drawn to first? Your eye should flow right to the front entrance. A nice walkway should lead your eye right to the front door. We try to hide garages that are often in front by creating balance with trees. Bright colours and shrubs add depth and weight which also encourage your eye to follow down that walkway.
- Make your front door pop. Some people love to paint the door a fun colour which is fantastic, but we can understand if you don’t. We love annual planters to add the colour for you. Head out the the local garden centre and find (or make) some planters that will bring life and colour to our front entryway.
- Freshen up your walkway. Pull the weeds in the cracks, or find a natural way to spray them (we love vinegar or soapy water) so your front yard looks neat and tidy. If the front looks good, the potential buyers will be more inclined to see inside. If you have a stone that has lifted or sunk down, it’s really an easy fix. Take the stone out, and if need be 1 or two around it, then pack the sand underneath, making it level. Place the stone back in, nice and firm, and if you have some sand, sweep it in the cracks to keep it from shifting (Polymeric sand is best, but regular sand will do).
- Tidy your gardens. Try have your foundation plantings along the house ( to cover up the concrete foundation) and then perennials in front. Groups of 3 or 5 are your friend, for design it looks professional and aesthetically pleasing. Use colour, texture, and height to add flair and personality, you will be amazed at the difference.
- Your lawn needs love. Keeping a healthy lawn doesn’t have to be a lot of work; just a little love. Fertilising your lawn in the spring, mid season, and fall will give you the lawn you always dreamed of. Watering it in the evening when the sun is low will also give it that healthy green colour we all want. Don’t have your mower height below 3 ” as it can be damaging to the lawn, get your mower blades sharpened when you notice the tips of the grass blades are being shredded not cut clean. They will turn brown if the the blade are dull, increasing that brown hue and allowing for pests and diseases to enter the lawn.
So there you go, 5 tips to help you increase curb appeal without breaking the bank or taking your valuable time. Good luck with selling your home, with these tips it will be a breeze!